Monday, October 5, 2009

Scoring, Scoring Arsenal

My apologies for not updating my blog with the European results from this weekend. It was the big Michigan vs. Michigan State game on Saturday and I was busy celebrating the Spartan victory.

But what did catch my eye was the 6-2 Arsenal thrashing over Blackburn. While I will admit that I am a Gunners fan, any soccer enthusiast should have noticed the performance of Spanish midfielder Cesc Fabregas. He put the team on his back and propelled Arsenal to their lopsided win. The midfield maestro had a hand in five of the six goals, scoring one himself.




So far this year, Fabregas has been a shadow of the player that helped lead Spain to the Euro 2008 title last summer. Many times he has just gone through the motions on the pitch, providing no real spark. His free kicks have been shoddy, his passes lacking their pinpoint precision. On Saturday that all changed.

After the match, Fabregas recommitted himself to the Arsenal cause. Amidst the rampant speculation of an impending transfer to Barcelona, Cesc proved to us against Blackburn how much more he has to offer at the Emirates Stadium.

0 comments:

Post a Comment